About Meeting Ground
Since 1981, Meeting Ground has provided a faith-based response to the needs of homeless people in Maryland and Delaware.
Individuals and families experiencing homelessness will find a temporary "safe haven" where they can regroup and put their lives in order with the help and support of a caring community which is rooted in Christian values. Please click here to download a printer-friendly flyer about Meeting Ground.
Our work includes:
- Emergency and transitional housing programs for families and single adults
- Shelter diversion, rapid re-housing, long term permanent supportive housing
- Serving meals and emergency food
- Helping individuals and families transition from being homeless
- Providing education, advocacy, and resources
- Youth volunteer mission groups
- Wayfarers' House
- Settlement House
- George Porter House
- Mary Randall Center
- Rotating Winter Shelter
Each year we publish an annual report that summarizes our accomplishments and activities for the previous year. Download the 2011 Annual Report
Some of our accomplishments for 2011:
- Over 300 people received housing through our emergency and transitional shelters
- Provided 26,000 bed nights of service to persons experiencing homelessness
- Distributed 2,428 bags of food from food closets to feed hungry Maryland families.
- Hosted over 200 people who came to Meeting Ground as part of mission groups from churches or schools.
Meeting Ground community has taken significant leadership in helping to gather partnerships to begin new programs.
We work with individuals from churches and faith communities of many denominations. Among these partnerships are:
- Friendship House
- Elkton Community Kitchen
Download Meeting Ground's Audit for 2011.
We, the community of Meeting Ground, are a people of faith, hope and love. Our mission is to help meet basic human needs and to address the root problems that perpetuate the cycle of poverty and homelessness. We bring together homeless and non-homeless persons in a context of shared life and work by providing hospitality, shelter, food and education. We strive to live with compassion, respect, affirmation and advocacy. In the light of the loving community of God's grace, we invite all to participate fully regardless of needs, differences or gifts. At Meeting Ground, in humility, 'we all sit at the same table' in ministry one to another, each seeking to discover one's own identity.
Board of Directors
- Rev. Ellen Baxter
- Dan Dombroski
- Mary Field
- Michael Foster
- Ralph Lewis
- Terri Lokey (President)
- Elizabeth Fry Powell
- Cathy Skelley (Past President)
- Rev. Tom Stout (Chair, Endowment Committee)
- Marijke van Buchem
- Sue Weissinger (Secretary)